Re: [SI-LIST] : Package Parasitics Modelling

Lynne Green ([email protected])
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:09:45 -0800 (PST)

10K protection??? Many of the 0.25um-and-under processes get 1K to 4K.

Watch your library suppliers (in-house or custom). Some say "designed to xK"
but do not tell you what they actually achieve. Sometimes, the first ESD
results come from customers (i.e. you!), not their own tests. (This is for two
reasons: 1. They don't do test wafers on every process and every I/O cell, and
2. Designers want to use the libraries today, not wait 3-6 months for ESD
results.)

Also re edge rates: some interface specifications include edge rate
requirements (such as PCI 3.3V, which is 1-4 V/nsec). Edge rates are often
limited at the I/O to reduce ringing amplitudes and improve settling time.
This is an old trick borrowed from telegraph and telephony technology.

Lynne Green
Signal integrity engineer (available for hire, thanks to Duet Technologies!)
resume available on request.

E-Mail: Lynne Green <[email protected]>
Date: 29-Mar-99
Time: 16:58:12