Re: [SI-LIST] : Different board vendors different impedances

Kim Flint ([email protected])
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:55:50 -0800

I think the guy's point was valid. Basically what he's saying is the real
fabrication process is rather complicated, moreso than many engineers
realize. If you want accurate results according to your design, you should
understand their process as best you can, and also provide a complete set of
information so that they can meet your requirement. This means being more
explicit in the documentation you provide the fab house, and probably
working more closely with them than a lot of engineers are likely to be used
to. He's not saying you should let the fab house design for you, but that
you should work with them and provide the info they need so they can
actually produce what you designed.

An example that comes to mind (and it's really hypothetical, I don't know
how valid it is...): say a fab house uses several different supppliers of
FR-4 material. Maybe they know that vendor A typically has Er=4.3, vendor B
typically has Er=4.1, and vendor C typically has Er=3.9. If you just say you
want 5mil dielectric thickness, they'll probably choose any of those vendors
for you. If you happened to base all your calculations on Er=4.3, and they
give you Er=3.9, you might have a problem. On the other hand, if you
explicitly say you are controlling impedance with an assumed Er=4.3 in your
calculations, they would know to choose vendor A to get what you want.

kim

Kim Flint, MTS 408-752-9284
ATI Research [email protected]
http://www.atitech.com