Re: [SI-LIST] : A Question About Power Noise.

Larry Smith ([email protected])
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:47:06 -0800 (PST)

Yes, it is true that the impedance of the lower valued capacitor is
underneath that of the higher valued capacitor for just a brief span of
frequency (resonance). But it is more than 10x lower in this
particular place. That means that you would have to put 10x the
quantity of higher valued capacitors in parallel to achieve the same
impedance at 1 GHz as you get from one resonating capacitor. This is
certainly useful when trying to sit on an EMI problem frequency. It
can also be used to our advantage when trying to achieve a low impedance
across a broad frequency range with a minimum number of capacitors.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems