Re: [SI-LIST] : A Question About Power Noise.

Nirmal Jain ([email protected])
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:35:19 -0500

Dear Kidong,

I have not heard of adding inductors in series with GND or VCC to reduce the ground bounce or SSN. In fact
this would increase your power/ground noise.

The voltage drop in the VSS and GND planes is given by Leff * di/dt where L is the effective inductance for a particular switching pattern. If you add L in series, your effective L is going to increase and so is the noise.

Different techniques used to reduce this noise are :-

Driver Design : Reduce the speed and drive strength of the driver, make your receivers more immune to noise!
Architecture : Reduce the number of simulataneously switching drivers
Package/MCM/Chip Design :Use decoupling capacitors close to the switching drivers
Layout Design: Minimize holes/openings in the GND/VCC planes
Minimize the length of currens paths on the GND/VCC planes or traces
Chip Design : Use substrate taps

Refer to "SSN of CMOS devices and Systems" by Ramesh and John Prince. Hope it helps

Regards

Nirmal Jain
Ansoft Corp
(412) 261-3200 X129