Re: [SI-LIST] : viewing the output of LARGE hspice transient runs

Kim Helliwell ([email protected])
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 23:41:32 -0800

Ray:

I've had good luck contacting Avanti's technical
support for problems with Awaves. Daniel Lee
([email protected]) is the AE I've dealt with;
I think there's another AE who supports HSPICE,
but I cannot remember his name.

>3GBytes could presumably be a problem. You obviously
have to have a >3GB swap partition (do you?) in order
to even have a chance of this working, assuming
that Awaves has to read in the whole file and store
all the data at once. And you have to make sure
that you still have > 3GB of swap left before you
start Awaves. And the more physical memory you
have, the better. 2 GB would not be too much. I'm
not sure that a workstation would handle more than
that, but ideally you'd like to have as much physical
memory as you have data to store, so you don't get
hung up swapping every time you redisplay a waveform.
And you better have a very fast machine.

Does Awaves hang, crash, or give an error message?

I'd be willing to bet that Awaves simply cannot handle
that much data at once. Breaking thing up a bit may
be the only solution. But Daniel Lee may be able
to tell you for sure.

Kim Helliwell