Re: [SI-LIST] : Oscillation in lumped circuits and transmission l ines

Fred Balistreri ([email protected])
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:52:40 -0800

Dima Smolyansky wrote:

> Although, it could be noted that the propagation delay of a transmission line Pd is related to L and C as
> Pd = (LC)^1/2. In addition, the factor of 2*pi is just a conversion between linear and angular frequency, and therefore for even-handed comparison must be dropped. Then, the factor of 4 is apparently due to assumption of quarter
> wavelength oscillation. But then, there will be a similar high-order oscillation for an LC circuit. I think this implies good correlation between the two models. The choice between the two comes down to a standard
> lumped-distributed type analysis.
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Thanks,
>
> -Dima
>
> =========================
> Dima Smolyansky
> TDA Systems, Inc.
> 7465 SW Elmwood St.
> Portland OR 97223
> 503-977-3629
> 503-245-5684 (FAX)
> [email protected]
> http://www.tdasystems.com
>
> Peterson, James F (FL51) wrote:
>
> > Good question Arani,
> > I have often wondered the same thing (every time someone uses the term
> > ringing and reflection to describe the same phenomenon). The more I study
> > the SI area of engineering the more I notice that people can be describing
> > things differently based on different perspectives but still be correct.
> > That said, I believe that a lumped LRC circuit's behavior is not related to
> > a transmission line reflection. One good reason is that the period of the
> > lumped circuit's oscillation will be 2*pi*(LC)^1/2, whereas the period of a
> > reflection will always be 4*Pd (where Pd is the 1 way prop. time of the
> > signal). In fact this is a great way to tell the difference. If the period
> > of a measured signal is much larger than 4 * Pd, then it's a lumped LRC
> > problem (add some series r to get rid of it).
> > Hope this helps,
> > Jim

It should be noted that Oscillation due to LC lumped parameters and
transmission line behavior are NOT the same thing and there is NO
correlation between the damping resistor used in lumped LC circuits and
attenuation in transmission lines. Theoritical (lossless) transmission
lines (distributed, not lumped) will NOT oscillate when properly
terminated with the known characteristic impedance. This is independent
of the length used since this case is theoritical. Lumped circuit
parameters should NOT be used in place of transmission lines. Lumped
LCR parameters can approximate a transmission line once enough RLC
segments are used. However such a model is NOT dynamic and will
oscillate once the stimulus is made fast enough. Then more RLC
segments will be needed. But the important fact is that the resistance
used to dampen the oscillation bears no relationship to the attenuation
due to copper losses at DC or skin effect losses at higher frequencies.
This is a different issue altogether.

Distributed RC lines used at the IC level work because of the geometries
involved and the fact that aluminum has been used which is not as good
a conductor as copper. That is changing. Even as shrinking occurs the
IC sizes and level of integration is dramatically increasing. This means
the RC approximation is already breaking down. Transmission lines will
have to be used in the not so distant future even for IC's especially
systems on a chip.

Best Regards,

--
Fred Balistreri