Re: [SI-LIST] : Power/Gnd Pin Input Impedance

Larry Smith ([email protected])
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:03:59 -0800

One way to get at the impedance looking into a chip's power supply is
power supply voltage and the amount of current that a chip draws, it
is an easy calculation. This will be the impedance presented to the
power supply over a broad range of frequencies. At high frequencies
(probably over 10 MHz) the package inductance begins to be important
and there is a series inductance between the PCB and the chip. The
power supply impedance of a chip will change as the chip draws more
or less current as the activity level changes.

BTW, the impedance of the power distribution system should be less
than 5% of the impedance of the chip in order to have less than 5%
regulation.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

It may change depending on the
function that the chip is performing at the moment.