RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: Antenna Problem on the Board

From: Daniel, Erik S. ([email protected])
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:40:05 PDT

Mary, Prasad -

> Be careful how you mix quantum and classical EM theory.
> Using this line of reasoning, we would expect a loop
> of wire carrying DC current to radiate.

Classically, a loop of wire carrying DC current does radiate, but only a
very very tiny amount. For a single electron traveling in a small circle of
a 1 mil radius (say) at 10^5 m/s (a generously high drift velocity for a
metal), the Larmor formula yields a radiated power of ~10^-24 watts.
Radiation due solely to change in direction of the electron in a right angle
bend of a trace would be similarly small -- much smaller than radiation due
to an RF current in the trace (which may still be small in many cases --
several others have commented on this).

None of these considerations are quantum mechanical unless the dimensions
are tiny (e.g., electron orbits around an atomic nucleus). Relativity can
play a significant role if the velocities are large, in which case the
radiation increases dramatically.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D. Voice: (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation Fax: (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW E-mail: [email protected]
Rochester, MN 55905 Web: www.mayo.edu/sppdg/