Re: [SI-LIST] : Noise Margin Vs XTK simulation

From: Mike LaBonte ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 08:32:19 PDT

Senthil,

In my experience the sum of peaks is too often extremely
pessimistic, especially for dense designs. The RSS estimate
is usually pretty close to the actual crosstalk for a typical
data pattern, as determined by AllNeighbors simulation in
SPECCTRAQuest. Usually the RSS value is greater than or equal
to the single aggressor peak, but I would look for a way to
take the greater of RSS and single aggressor peak just in case.
I think some people take the RSS and increase it a bit with
some fudge factor.

Crosstalk is not the only noise source, so hopefully you
are also weighing other noise sources against your noise
margins. The simplest method is to sum all noise sources
before comparing against noise margin.

Mike LaBonte