RE: [SI-LIST] : Antenna Problem on the Board

From: Chris Rokusek ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 18:12:56 PDT

Doug,

The formula I used for E(f) can be found in both Clayton Paul and Henry
Ott's text. If is essentially the superposition of two electric (Hertzian)
dipoles carrying purely differential currents. Paul provides a derivation
while Ott references Weeks 1964, p.565, Eq 91. They would probably shoot me
if I did not mention that their are limitations to these models to which I
will refer you to their texts. Most notable are far field and constant
current segment. Beyond these (>200 MHz on a typical PCB) it is an
approximation for non-elemental structures (integration could be used).

The terms that account for field pattern were replaced with worst case
(sin(x) = 1) to simplify the expression.

I can't comment as to the applicability of the folded dipole structure
(non-elemental) but just wanted to provide some rebuttal for the concern
over use of the "Max-Electric-Magnitude-in-far-field" formula.

Chris Rokusek
Innoveda