[SI-LIST] : RMS Definition, clarification

From: Doug Brooks ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 12:09:06 PDT

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know what RMS means. What I am looking for is an
equation of the form

RMS = sqrt[integral(V^2Sin^2(theta))/n] with the correct integration
boundaries.

The table I am looking for might have entries like this:
sine Vrms = V/.707
Square Vrms = .5*V (If symmetrical around zero axis, then Vrms = V)
DC Vrms = V
Triangle Vrms = ?*V
Saw Tooth Vrms = ?*V
etc

Sorry for any confusion

Doug

Hi Gurus

I am looking for the mathematical formula for RMS voltage. I seem to
remember that it can be expressed as an integral of a squared function. I
can almost fake it(!) but I'd like to see the real thing! I would also like
to see a table of RMS values for different types of (non-sinusoidal)
waveforms (such as triangular, saw tooth, etc.) Can anyone point me to a
web page where this info might exist. Or perhaps, might someone create the
formula in an equation editor and e-mail it to me as an attachment.

Thanks for any help

Doug Brooks

Doug Brooks' book, "Electrical Engineering for the Non-Degreed Engineer is
now in its 3rd printing. Learn about it at www.ultracad.com

Doug Brooks' book, "Electrical Engineering for the Non-Degreed Engineer is
now in its 3rd printing. Learn about it at www.ultracad.com