Re: [SI-LIST] : Antenna Problem on the Board

From: [email protected]
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 10:42:48 PDT

Ron,
you have touched on a question that has been with me for several years, and
that question is how do I minimize transmission line radiation. I noticed in
an earlier thread (different subject) that higher impedance lines radiated
more than lower impedance lines. I don't understand why this is true. It
seems to me that a lower Z line, if excited by the same voltage, would
radiate more due to having a higher current in the line. Also, by the same
reasoning, I thought that a source terminated line would radiate less that a
parallel (at the receiver) terminated line, since only half of the current
and voltage would be required to get a full signal swing at the receiver (+1
reflection coefficient). Your statements seem to indicate that reflections
caused by impedance mismatches are the primary causes of radiation--this
means that a parallel terminated line is much superior to a source terminated
line where radiation is concerned. Please help me get a better understanding
of these fundamentals. I would also like to know how you employ the trig.
Richard Ellison
972-569-8317