[SI-LIST] : Characterization

From: Rich Peyton ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 06:16:47 PDT

Hello All,

I've joined the SI list a few months ago and enjoyed monitoring the
conversations within the list. Being new to the field of SI ( Signal
Insanity ) I've appreciated the constraints of all to be as honest as
possible in making there cases and in return getting rebuttals if there
is a conflict with processes. Now that you are all patting yourselves
on the back and gloating :-), how about some insight on the following
area:

When a characterization process is needed (in my case test probes),
which is the best process to go about doing this and which information
is of most use to SI engineers in deciding which will fit into there
designs? In characterizing certain products such as interconnects, what
would be an ideal process? ( Time Domain / Frequency Domain, TDRing,
with Spice model or Network analyzer with Spice model, Smith Chart,
S-Parameters or a combination of all for certain information). I'm
curious what specs SI engineers are looking for when they have to add
other interconnects (from other manufacturers) into there design and
what electrical information supplied is of most use to them. ( Self
Inductance, Capacitance, Risetime 3dB limit etc.) Any insights and
additions to this thread would be appreciated and I hope it gets as much
debate and controversy as the 90 deg. bend (Pfew)!

Thanks to all,
Rich