RE: [SI-LIST] : SpecctraQuest v Hyperlynx

From: [email protected]
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 06:37:16 PDT

I second Pat's comments. Ken, I enjoy and learn from many of your posts,
but I think your response was way, way out of proportion with Carlos'
original post. In fact, as far as posts from tool vendors go I'd say
Carlos' was pretty mild and reserved and at least he acknowledged the bias.

I'm not sure if a bad sales person had just walked out of your cube or what.
But until such time as we restrict email addresses from all @cadence.com,
@innoveda.com, and @mentorg.com domains I don't think we can stop them from
expressing a viewpoint as long as it's not literally an advertisement. (I
think Carlos post was far from an advertisement, there have been much more
blatant sales pitches on this list).

Finally, it's not clear to me why you hold tool vendors to such a higher
standard than you hold the rest of the list. Let's face it most folks on
this list (myself included) have biases. The only difference is that many
of the "gurus" on this list are selling advice as opposed to a tool. There
are many folks new to SI that look for help on this list and several biased
folks (sometimes *exceptionally biased*) often answer with conflicting
advice and often end in flames wars and demands for experimental results,
etc. The end result is the inexperienced person seeking advice walks away
confused. Why is this better or worse than the inexperienced person who
posts asking about tools and watches us spin out into a flame war and then
walks away confused?

The tool vendors threads are just one of many threads that start arguments
and bring out biases on this board. Review threads on say, the 20H rule, or
90 degree angle routing, etc. to see people's biases. Some of those biases
are much stronger and entrenched than things I've seen from tool vendors.
Often times I strongly disagree with some of these people. In fact, there
are some folks that I don't even read their posts anymore, I just hit
delete, but I don't attempt to deny them the opportunity to speak their mind
and say their piece. If I don't like what I'm watching I just change the
channel!

If someone on this board, when asking a question about software tools, is
unable to recognize that someone with an email address ending in say,
"cadence.com" has an inherent bias than frankly there isn't much we can do
for them; how would they ever have the critical thinking skills to survive
say, the 20H rule wars?

I shall step down from the pulpit.

Jim P.

Jim Pankratz