RE: [SI-LIST] : MECL System Design Handbook

From: Hassan Ali ([email protected])
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 11:15:51 PDT

Tom,

The argument is that this Zo (and the resulting voltage amplitude) dip for
typical today's digital systems is just too small to worry about. But this
'game' of using right-angle bends if used irresponsibly may cause havoc in a
high-speed printed circuit board. The cause of havoc is not from the corner
itself, but from what the corner gives rise to.

If you have two signal layers on a printed circuit board where the tracks
are routed orthogonal to each other (and there is no plane separating the
two signal layers), right-angle corners can eliminate the orthogonality and
cause tracks (in the two layers) to run parallel to each other - probably at
long lengths - and give rise to cross-talk problems. In today's dense
boards, it's not uncommon to see such signal layers separated by 5 mils or
less. With tracks running parallel and separated by that much, and worse
still, coupling in a broadside sense (as opposed to edge coupling),
unforeseen crosstalk problems can occur. And not just crosstalk problems, a
tight coupling of that sort also gives rise to an impedance discontinuity
causing further signal amplitude loss due to reflection.

So, I see this great distaste for right-angle bends, as just like those
childhood myths that are basically untrue, but nevertheless providing a
useful end result.

Regards.

Hassan.