Re: [SI-LIST] : scale factor in hspice

From: Kim Helliwell ([email protected])
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 14:05:08 PDT

Vijay Boddu wrote:

> Hi! All
>
> I have a general question on scale factor in hspice.If we are using scale
> factor in .options statement (.options scale = 1e-6) does it scale the
> resistor, capacitor and inductance values also. From the hspice manual
> it says that scale is a element scaling factor and scalm is a model
> scaling factor. can someone clarify this.
>
> Thanks
> vijay
>

> Vijaya Kumar Boddu
> Sun Microsystems
> [email protected]

I took a quick look at the manual for version 2000.4, and you're
right; it is not very clear. The explanation for the SCALM parameter
mentions that the description for each model explains what is scaled

Then I tried the following circuit:

* test of SCALE option
r1 1 0 10
v1 1 0 10
c1 1 0 10p
.op
.option scale=0.5
.end

with and without the .option statement, and I see no difference in the
voltage or the power, so I conclude that SCALE doesn't affect voltage
sources or resistors.

And the writeup for MOSFET element statements says nothing about what
is scaled with SCALE, so I am not sure what SCALE does!

In any case, I think there is good reason to avoid using these parameters
unless you are really scaling down a chip. And even if you are doing that,
care would seem to be called for.

--
Kim Helliwell
Senior CAE Engineer