RE: [SI-LIST] : Question on transmission line simulation by HP AD S /Momentum

From: Dan Swanson ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 05:08:12 PDT

Nianci,

In Lince Calc, the basic calculation for microstrip impedance
assumes an infinetly thin strip. To account for thickness, a
corrected strip width is computed internally. The equations they
use were developed by curve fitting to a large data base of
field-solver runs.

In Momentum, the basic calculation is again for an infinitely thin
strip. If they ask you for thickness at any point ( I don't remember)
it will be a correction to the surface impedance for loss. You can
approximate thick strips by adding a ficticious air layer that is
the thickness of your strip and then add a second layer of metal
on top. Depending on the length in wavelengths, you may want
to stitch the sides together at a few points. For large, complicated
circuits this is not very efficient because you have doubled the
number of unknowns and forced the solution time to be 6 to 8 times
greater.

In the end, you are comparing two field-solvers.

Dan

Dan Swanson EMAIL: [email protected]
Bartley RF Systems, Inc. TEL: 978-834-4085
37 South Hunt Road FAX: 978-388-7077
Amesbury, MA 01913