RE: [SI-LIST] : D/A interfacing

From: Daniel, Erik S. ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 05:55:53 PDT

Larry-

The high effective bit, high bandwidth ADC systems we have been involved
with are multi-bit sigma-delta systems. The sigma-delta architectures are
fairly forgiving except for a couple key places where coupling of noise is a
killer. We have begun general investigations of single-mode and
differential coupling at the 70-100 dB level for circuits operating in the
mid 100s - low 1000s of MHz. I think it's fair to say that we don't have a
clear understanding of all of the coupling mechanisms in this regime, but we
have definitely found that simple models (e.g., TEM models of t-line
coupling) are insufficient. Unfortunately, we haven't had the resources to
do a thorough analysis. I think this is a challenging problem.

                                        - Erik

Erik Daniel, Ph.D. Voice: (507) 538-5461
Mayo Foundation Fax: (507) 284-9171
200 First Street SW E-mail: [email protected]
Rochester, MN 55905 Web: www.mayo.edu/sppdg/