RE: [SI-LIST] : Boston area IPC/DC mtg, 24-Apr 6pm

From: Smith, Norm W ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 14:18:55 PDT

        Bruce Mahler, Vice President of Ohmega Technologies Inc, will
        present a talk on planar (buried) resistors and their benefits
        in today's space and performance constrained world. While BC
        capacitance has been well discussed in our group, this mature
        technology represents the next step for reducing attached part
        count and complexity. In use for over 20 years, Ohmega resis-
        tor technology claims cost benefits when replacing soldered
        components at as few as 3 or 4 resistors per board square inch.

Just wanted to share my comments on this technology. We're currently using
this buried resistor technology for series-source termination on a large IO
BGA. The big benefit for us was being able to get the resistors very close
to the BGA balls. However, the negatives are that the board has a >25% cost
adder and very few PCB vendors can process it. We're in the process of
taking the buried resistor technology out and replacing with discrete 0401
SMT resistors, since our assembler can now place these ultra-small
resistors.

Norm Smith
NCR Corp
17095 Via Del Campo