Re: [SI-LIST] : Attenuation and Delay on a PCB Trance

From: Paul Levin ([email protected])
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 07:46:47 PDT

Dear Michael,

The jitter resulting from this non-uniform delay is what the Fibre Channel
folks call "Deterministic Jitter." It is not due to any random events;
rather
it is due to the patterns of the data and the various frequency components
required for the particular data pattern. There would be no deterministic
jitter, for example, in a pure clock signal. The K28.5 pattern with
alternating disparity went something like 11111001010000011010 and then
repeat.
You can see very easily the contribution at 1/20th of the clock rate.

Even without any random jitter, the basic shape of the eye opening was
determined by how all of the harmonics propagated, both amplitude and
phase.

Paul Levin
Senior Principal Engineer
Logic Innovations, Inc.