RE: [SI-LIST] : Diff clocks length matching

From: Dagostino, Tom ([email protected])
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 16:23:05 PDT

Mary

I was responding to two items brought up in the discussion. I never
justified 2 mil matching.

>As Lee Ritchey would say, and I like to quote as often as possible "Show
>me the data."

and

>I'd be generally very happy to have differential skews matched to
>within 5% of the edge rate for most systems.

>10Gbps - about 10 mils
>3.2 Gbps - about 20 mils
>2 Gbps - about 25 mils
>1 Gbps - about 50 mils
>622 Mbps - about 100 mils

I was addressing Scott's statement for high frequencies he only needs 3 psec
matching for 10 Gbps to 30 psec for 622 Mps and Mitch's give me some real
data.

Without a context for these discussions there can be no discussion. I
showed an example from work in a company I used to work for how one cannot
just apply some kind of rule-of-thumb to dismiss a design constraint. I'd
hate to see people use Scott's numbers as a rule of thumb because I know
Scott, I know Scott hates rules of thumb. I was not trying to justify 2 mil
matching, just putting some real numbers from real applications on the
table.

In an application like this the 3 ADC's would have the same pins driven by
the clock so only the variation in the parasitics would cause a mismatch.
The imbalance's would be the same for all three clock nets hopefully so the
three nets would see the same delay as good as board processing can make
them.

Yes, nothing is perfect, but I was just showing how a simple 20 MHz clock
may have tighter timing constraints than outlined in Scott's examples.

Tom Dagostino
IBIS and Tau Modeling Manager
SDD
Mentor Graphics Corp.