Re: [SI-LIST] : Using an IBIS file in HSPICE

From: Kim Helliwell ([email protected])
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 11:13:58 PDT

The HSPICE IBIS buffers are a bit tricky to understand and use,
and I admit my memory is rusty here, but I think you don't have
to connect anything to nd_out_of_in1, just put a dummy node name
for it. Why it was implemented this way I don't know. The input
node for the output buffers needs to be a signal with a swing from
0 to 1 volts. You definitely want to use transmission lines from
the outout of your driver to the input of your receiver(s).

If you can't get it running with these hints, I suggest you call the
HSPICE hotline: 800.346.5953

Kim

tcoyle wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out how to use an ibis file in HSPICE (ver 99.4)
> I'm trying to correlate between the ibis datasheet and the original
> spice file used to get the ibis file. I have looked at the HSPICE manual
> on using ibis buffers, but I'm not sure I quite understand what is going
>
> on. I am just trying to test a simple part, an inverter. So I have an
> input buffer and an output buffer. In order to correlate the ibis file
> back to the
> original spice file, it seems to me that I should apply a voltage source
> to the input buffer, nd_in1, and then take the output, nd_out_of_in1,
> and apply that to the output buffer, nd_in, and look at the
> output,nd_out. In order to do this though, it seems I need to have a
> transmission line
> to tie the two buffers together. (which I don't understand) If I try to
> map the two buffers together directly, I get an error in HSPICE.
> However, I can
> just apply a source to the output buffer and get a result that looks
> like what I want. I was under the impression that I wanted to go
> throught the input
> buffer and the output buffer to truly represent the part.
>
> If anyone can enlighten me or point me in the direction of any helpful
> material, then I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

> * OUTPUT BUFFER
> b_output nd_pu nd_pd nd_out nd_in [nd_pc nd_gc]
> + file = 'test.ibs'
> + model = 'data_o'

> * INPUT BUFFER

Kim Helliwell