[SI-LIST] : RE: 2.5GHz Materials

From: Moran, Brian P ([email protected])
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:29:03 PDT

Sreejith,

My preference is to go to a high frequency FR-4 material like GETEK or Nelco
4013 for 1Ghz plus boards, these materials are only slightly more expensive
and provide lower loss tangent and somewhat lower Er. Most vendors can use
them interchangably with FR-4. Depending on how long your interconnects are
and how many harmoinics you need to preserve this might be a cost effective
solution. If this is not acceptable then I would consult with a good high
end board or laminate vendor. Materials like cynate ester, and Gore
speedboard prepreg might be considered. I'm sure there are other new
materials and strategies I am not aware of. I have always been able to
survive with the high frequency FR-4s.

Brian P. Moran
Signal Integrity Engineering
Desktop Products Group, Intel Corp.