RE: [SI-LIST] : Jitter measurement

From: sweir ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 20:06:01 PST

The Amherst software is good stuff, and quite reasonably priced at a few
$K. For this type of work it is very valuable. It will let you see
ugly things like your power supply, or nearby loads modulating your
clock.

Regards,

Steve.

If you really want to measure jitter that accurately, one combination of

instruments and software that I know work are:
TEK 694C Scope (best time base they make)
Amherst M-1 Jitter Software (I think sold or recommended by TEK)
These were developed for Rambus technology.
The TEK scope has a better time base than what you are using.
The Amherst software reduces the aperture uncertainty to a few femtosec
by
using a huge number of samples on each rising edge (via the IEEE 488 bus

output) and (I think) curve-fitting to decide when the waveform passes
through the trigger point.
I used this when our TIA (Time Interval Analyzer) gave up because of its

overall 50 ps sampling uncertainty.
The bad news: These items will run you about $50k. However, this combo
is
used by certain big time SONET gear companies working on OC-192 and
higher...
Larry Miller