Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: approximations for partial self inductance - WHY

From: JuYoung Lee ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 14:42:01 PST

Michael,

Good point.

In Physics community, people often say about gauge attached to vector
potential A. A is defined by curl A = B. You can attach any gradiant of
function X (gauge) to A without affecting E and B field according to
Maxwell equation form. So A' = A + gradient X and there are infinitely
many options of A'.

One interpretation is that A' is partial inductance per unit length.

Field solvers often use A'. As long as one sticks to a particular choice
of X consistently, the potential error in using partial inductance can
be avoided.

And X is supposed to mean "nonexistence" in electromagnetics. In quantum
physcis it means something related to phase of photon.

Regards,
JuYoung