Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: approximations for partial self inductance - WHY

From: GARY ROSEN ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 13:49:52 PST

Doug McKean wrote:

> Okay, well here goes ...
>
> It's easy to see that if a signal trace had a return trace as a
> wire (shown by a dotted line), the following would cause
> the creation of a loop.
>

> +----------+
> . |
> return . | signal
> trace . Loop | trace
> . |
> +----------+
> |

> Obviously from this construction, the inductance of the

^^^^^^^^^^ ???

> return wire would be less than if the return wire was
> underneath and following the longer path of the signal
> trace. Thus, my questioning the path of less inductance
> rule.

But wouldn't the *total* inductance - taking into account
the mutual inductance of the coupled traces - be less
when the return path is underneath (and thus closely coupled
to) the signal trace? You are counting only the self-inductance
of the respective traces (obviously less for the shorter path).

I think "mutual inductance" essentially quantifies your idea
about the Lorentz force (omitted here for brevity).

- Gary Rosen