Re: [SI-LIST] : Speed of electron & Speed of signal on the trace

From: Mike LaBonte ([email protected])
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 06:20:57 PST

In school I did have one professor who explained the difference between
the slow electron drift rate and the fast signal propagation rate. The
simple explanation he used: Imagine a large number of electrons are lined
up in a queue to enter a cinema. It will be quite a while before the last
electron in line reaches the cinema. But it can shove the electron in front
of it, which will shove the electron in front of it, and pretty soon the
presence of that last electron will be known at the front of the line.

Of course electrons "shove" by means of nuclear force. But the point is
that a particular electron does not have to arrive at the destination to
convey a signal.

Mike LaBonte