RE: [SI-LIST] : Re: approximations for partial self inductance

From: [email protected]
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 14:56:16 PST

We need to be careful in our comments. People seem to be mixing situations.
This is dangerous when the starting point is a discussion of approximations.
The original question was about vias for decoupling, not signal vias. Yes
Jian, you are quite correct that there are many cases where a capacitor
models the effect of a via on a SIGNAL better than an inductor.

I have never seen a via through a multilayer board that looked like a long
straight round wire; a via has pads on every layer which add capacitance.
So let me highlight two key parts of Brian's comments

> >>When ***d>>r***, the external partial
> >>self-inductance of a straight round wire is
> >>L=5.08d*{ln(2d/r +/- whatever
> >>This formula **should not be used** for vias because it assumes that
> >>the length is much greater than the diameter.

For DECOUPLING, considering a via alone is risky; one should consider the
LOOP defined by the Power/Ground via pairs.

Aubrey Sparkman
Signal Integrity
[email protected]
(512) 723-3592