RE: [SI-LIST] : differences in memory speeds

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 05:47:06 PST

Pat,

I had few years ago a weird experience with SRAM, where it failed by
producing out-of-this-world values in the read cycles. It was SIMTEK SRAM
with backup option. After consultation with SIMTEK I decided to look at WE-
signal, and found a long negative overshoot. According to SIMTEK, the device
could go into "weak write" mode because of WE- being lower than GND (and,
respectively, than other signals). After I series-terminated teh WE-, the
problem stopped.

It is possible that faster device is more succeptible to small transitions.
Also, I had a inexpicable problem once with TOSHIBA 82C54 counters, wher
EVERY manufacturer except TOSHIBA worked fine; TOSHIBA would reset itself
(count as well as mode of operation) for no obvious reason. The problem
manifested itself ONLY when BurrBrown DCDC converter was used for supplying
5V, while others DCDCs would make the board work fine.

My investigation found the device was more sensitive to noise from DCDC
converters; I had to REALLY de-couple the input and output of the DCDC to
make it work; but eventually I just restricted my BOM to all mfr. minus
Toshiba.

Mike.