Re: [SI-LIST] : Unexpected results using series terminating resistor

From: Nianci Wang ([email protected])
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 10:25:38 PST

Jason,

For a point to point unidirectional trace, I expect that either series source
termination or parallel termination at the Rx end should work. The question is
you should find out the characteristic of both driver and receiver I/O. The
information can be got from chip designer or you can figure out the output
impedance of driver and input impedance of receiver by turning the series or
parallel termination of your trace.

From your simulation, it seems that Rx input impedance is very large (much
larger than 50 ohm). Because you saw better results by terminating 50 ohm
resistor at 50 ohm trace. At driver size, it looks like the output impedance of
driver is around 25 ohm, because board designer has specified a 25 ohm source
series termination. But the chip output impedance may have larger process
variation and also have a big impacted by the package parasitic. So the 25 ohm
source series termination + the driver output impedance may not be absorbed all
the reflection wave from the Rx side but only attenuating it as you found in
your simulation.

Depend on the type of your trace (data or clock) , you may be able to
tolerance the spike you saw in your simulation. If that is a case than the
series termination is easier way to implement, otherwise the parallel
termination is a better approach, or you can use both series and parallel
termination.

Best Regards
Nianci