When was the first lighthouse
at Barnegat Inlet built?
- Built in 1834. Cost - $6,000. 40ft tower of brick.
What happened to the lighthouse?
- Due to years of storm erosion and the southern migration
of the inlet, it toppled into the sea. It was quickly replaced with a temporary
When was the present Lighthouse
- Built in 1858. Cost $45,000. 172ft brick tower.
Who made the plans for the lighthouse?
- General George Gordon Mead sent plans to Congress.
Army Corps of Engineers constructed the lighthouse.
How thick are the walls of the
- The outer conical wall has a thickness of 4ft 6in
at the base and 1ft 6in at the top.
- The inner cylindrical wall has a thickness of 9in
What are the vents in the walls
of the lighthouse for?
- The air space between the two walls provides ventilation
and a certam amount of "give" in high winds.
How old is the lighthouse?
- The lighthouse turned 140 years old in 1998.
When was the lighthouse first
- First lit on January 1, 1859.
What kind of lens did the lighthouse
- The lighthouse had a 1st order Fresnel
lens. It was made of 1,027 glass prisms. Cost - $15,000. The light would
flash every 10 seconds at each point of the compass. The flash could be
seen as much as 30 miles away.
Where is the lens from?
- The lens was made in Paris, 1847, by Henry Lepaute.
The mountings were bronze throughout and the whole assembly weighed
over flve tons.
- The technology for the lens was created by Augustin
Fresnel, a French optical expert and mathematician.
What did the lamp burn?
- The lamp first burned lard.
- 1898 converted to kerosene.
- 1910 converted to incandescent oil.
When was the lighthouse decommissioned?
- Lighthouse was retired in 1927 - after 69 years.
What happened to the lens when
the lighthouse was decommissioned?
- In 1927 the lens was removed and sent to Tompkinsville
Lighthouse Depot on Staten Island.
- 1934 the lens was moved to the Museum of Science and
Industry in Chicago.
- 1955 the lens was brought back and is now on display
at the Barnegat Light Museum located on Central Ave. and 5th Street.
What is Barnegat Lightship?
- Barnegat Lightship was anchored
8 miles off the coast of Barnegat Light. Commissioned in 1927, the Lightship
replaced the duties of the lighthouse.
When did the lightship stop working?
- The lightship was replaced by
electronic navigation in 1965. It is no longer anchored at sea.
What is the criteria for lighthouse
- 1st order, 2nd
order, 3rd order, 4th order
- Height of the lighthouse
- Size of the lens
- Distance the light could be seen
How many lighthouse keepers worked
to keep the lighthouse running?
- Head Lighthouse keeper, 1st assistant and 2nd assistant.
Each worked an 8-hour shift
What did lighthouse keepers do?
- The keepers main duties were to
- 1. Keep the lamp lit.
- 2. Keep the lighthouse clean.
- 3. Carry the oil and supplies to the top of the lighthouse.
- 4. During high winds, rotate the lens by hand.
Where did the keepers live?
- The keepers lived in a 20-room Victorian cottage,
opposite the lighthouse entrance. It was built in 1889 and was in the process
of being swept out to sea, when it was demolished, shortly before WWI in
When was the lighthouse turned
over to the state?
- The land was first turned over to the state in 1926.
The Coast Guard took control during WWII. After the war, the state gained
control again. It was dedicated as a state park in 1958.
When were lighthouse renovations
- Renovations began in August 1990 and were completed
in June 1991.
What were the renovations performed
on the lighthouse?
- Stabilization of the center post in order to level
the stair treads and the watch room floor.
- Restoration of the brick tower masonry.
- Installation of stainless steel masonry anchors in
the tower interior wall to provide support to stairs.
- Repair cracked and corroded areas in the lantern and
- Erection of a watch level exterior grille.
- Installation of additional balusters of the stairs.
- Installation of a transparent ceiling in the watch
When was the jetty constructed?
- Construction began in December 1987 and was completed
in August 1991.
When was the jetty walkway constructed?
- Construction began in May 1992 and completed in June
TO INDEX PAGE