GHOSTLY HAUNTINGS? YOU DECIDE!
The purpose of this page is an attempt to describe several strange and unusual events that occurred in the house where my parents resided until October of 2001. Each and every occurrence listed on this page is true and nothing described herein has been exaggerated for the purpose of making a good ghost story. Do these strange events mean that there is some type of ghostly spirit inhabiting this residence, or can each and every one of these events be logically explained? Please read on and decide for yourself!
This house is located in Altoona, Pennsylvania, approximately 100 miles East of Pittsburgh. Records indicate that this house was built in the early 1900's. This house is typical of other houses built during that particular time era and in that geographical region. It has a basement, a first floor, a second floor, and an attic on the top which doubles as an additional bedroom.
My parents moved into this house in 1983. Soon after moving into the house, several strange and unusual events began to occur. My mother decided to start documenting these events in her diary in an effort to keep some type of written record as to what was happening. The first few occurrences inside this house were not all that dramatic or strange, but as time went on these events seemed to intensify and become more bizarre with each occurrence. Listed below are those events as written in my mother's diary:
- Shortly after moving into the house in 1983 an old light globe in the pantry ceiling fell down and broke with all three (3) screws still intact and in place.
- Sometime during 1984 a wall clock in the living room fell down off of the wall by itself with the screw that was used to hang the wall clock still intact and in place.
- Sometime during 1985 a thermos bottle which was left in the pantry on the sink by my mother suddenly exploded without warning, shattering the glass inside the thermos with a loud noise. This occurred as my mother was walking out of the pantry.
- On June 17th, 1994, a ceiling fan in one of the bedrooms suddenly fell down at approximately 1:13AM, landing on top of a dresser. This occurred despite no obvious signs of faulty hardware or mounting screws.
- Sometime in 1994 the smoke detector went off for no apparent reason. A subsequent check revealed no obvious problems with either the smoke detector or the battery. There was no smoke of any kind inside the house at the time and nothing being cooked in the kitchen.
- On February 4th, 1995, a picture hanging in the dining room was turned crooked and sideways, despite the fact that neither my mother or my father had touched it.
- On February 5th, 1995, my mother woke up to find her bed cover completely turned sideways and in perfect condition, despite the fact that she moves very little, if at all, during her sleeping hours.
- In March of 1995, a lamp cord in the spare bedroom had been mysteriously unplugged from the extension cord by itself. My mother and father both claim to have not unplugged it.
- In June of 1995, at approximately 2:20PM, there was a very loud knock at the front door. My father answered the door right away (as he was very near the door at the time) but there was absolutely no one there. A check outside of the house and in all directions around the house failed to uncover any clues.
- On December 24th, 1995, at approximately 5:30PM, my father laid his coffee cup on top of the sink in the pantry. As my father walked out of the pantry he heard a loud noise. The coffee cup had somehow moved several inches by itself and landed in the sink without breaking.
- Sometime in 1996, the smoke alarm went off by itself again as my mother walked by it. As in the previous similar event, a subsequent check revealed no obvious problems with either the smoke detector or the battery. There was no smoke of any kind inside the house at the time and nothing being cooked in the kitchen. Later that same week the smoke alarm went off again by itself for no apparent reason as it lay on my father's desk (he had been inspecting it for any obvious problems).
- In July of 1996, shortly before 10:00PM, my father saw a faint black cloud in the middle of the stairway. My father was downstairs in the living room when he witnessed this faint black cloud. This faint black cloud lasted for only a few seconds before disappearing. Later that same night, after going to bed and turning the lights out, the window blind in the bedroom suddenly rolled up by itself.
- On August 8th, 1996, my mother found the potpourri doily which she had hanging on the bathroom wall, lying on the floor (upside down). The nail on which the potpourri doily was hanging was still pointed upwards.
- On August 17th, 1996, the clothes dryer in the basement turned on all by itself, despite the fact that the knob was still in the "off" position.
- On August 12th, 1996, my mother was sitting on her bed when the music box on the bedroom dresser suddenly began to play approximately 7 or 8 notes by itself.
- On August 27th, 1996, a bottle of vitamins fell off of the table by itself and onto the floor in the kitchen as my mother was looking away in another direction. My mother had just placed the vitamins in the "middle" of the table.
- Sometime during either May or June of 1997, the gas valve to the furnace (which is located in the basement of the house) had been mysteriously turned to the "off" position by itself. Neither my father or my mother had ever even touched this valve before (ever since having moved into the house in 1983).
- In June of 1997, my sister-in-law from Texas was visiting my parent's house when she heard the loud and distinctive noise of someone walking up and down the stairway. No one was seen on or around the stairway at the time of the noises. Later that same week my brother, who was also visiting from Texas, also heard the same noise of someone walking up and down the stairway (despite the fact that no one was seen on or near the stairway at the time).
- On June 29th, 1997, a window cover in the shape of an "octagon" began to roll down the steps by itself from the second floor. Prior to that it had been placed against a wall upstairs on the second floor.
- On November 6th, 1997, my mother noticed immediately that several refrigerator magnets placed on the front door of the refrigerator had been mysteriously moved to different positions.
- In July of 2001, an empty plastic milk container completely filled with grape juice mysteriously materialized inside the kitchen refrigerator. Neither my mother nor my father have any idea who made the grape juice or how it ended up inside the refrigerator.
- In July of 2001, a tube of prescription cream medication disappeared from my father's bedroom along with a wash cloth and towel. These items were never located and remain missing.
MY OWN EXPERIENCES IN THIS HOUSE
In the summer of 1997, my wife and I were visiting my parent's house. My wife normally sleeps very soundly and moves very little (if at all) during her sleeping hours. The next morning when my wife awoke, she found herself turned completely around in bed and facing the opposite direction. This had never happened to her before and has never happened again since that evening.
During that same visit in the summer of 1997, my son (11 years old at the time) decided to sleep downstairs in the living room. My father manually turned the downstairs air conditioner off because the temperature that evening was fairly cool (this was a window unit). The next morning when we awoke, the air conditioner had somehow mysteriously been turned back on and was running full blast. My son advised that he never touched the air conditioner and had no idea who or what may have turned it back on in the middle of the night.
In July of 2001, I stayed at my parent's house for approximately two (2) weeks while on vacation. I had personally never experienced anything strange or unusual during my entire stay (or any previous stays) until my very last night in the house. At approximately 12:45AM, I had gotten up to use the restroom down the hallway from the bedroom where I was staying on the second floor. I returned to my bed and shut the bedroom door behind me. As soon as I laid back down in bed, I was startled by a very loud groaning noise which immediately caused the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. It was like a noise that I had never heard before. This eerie groaning noise seemed to be coming from the hallway, on the other side of the bedroom door that I had just shut. The total duration of this evil sounding noise lasted approximately 3-5 seconds in length. Needless to say, I found it very difficult to fall back asleep again. There is absolutely nothing on the second floor of that house to logically explain what it was I had heard. I left that house later that same morning and I have never been back since.
In October of 2001, my parents sold this house and have since moved out-of-state to be closer to their grandkids. They still talk about the strange and unusual events that occurred at their previous residence and they wonder if "Casper" has made it's presence known to the new occupants of that house. Your thoughts and comments regarding these events are always welcome.
Ron (The Supernatural Zone)
E-mail Me At: email@example.com
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE SUPERNATURAL ZONE