Here are some miscellaneous pictures depicting recent life and activities at W2CXM.
Force 12 Raising, October 2001
Putting up the new Force12 C-4XL/E HF beam on Sunday, October 21, 2001.
Big thanks to Natan W6XR and John KB2MTI for lending us their expertise and experience!
All these great pictures were taken by Andy Dodd
Step 1: The preparation
Step 2: Final assembly and tuning of the antenna
Step 3: The Raising!
Satellite Antenna Raising, Sept 2001
HF Beam Lowering, May 2001. Our trusty TH6DX was put up in 1986 from what we can tell. 15 years later it's time for a replacement, this time a Force12 C-4XL/E.
- The TH6-DX on it's accustomed perch.
- Looking up from the base of the 30' tower atop South Tower, Barton hall.
- Mike N2VR begins disassembling things.
- A 'cover shot.' MikeN KC2HUL took this gorgeous shot.
- Same as above but BIG. MikeN KC2HUL took this gorgeous shot.
- It's down. As safety recommends, we had a second safety rope holding things in case anything happened. Well, it did; four clamp bolts were corroded enough that they couldn't take the strain once the beam was unbolted from the tower, so we ended up with the TH6-DX hanging on the top of the tower! Thanks to good practices, no one was injured at all and no parts were damaged.
- From a bit farther away. It's hard to get far away on top of the tower!
- The TH6-DX feed system. After 15 years it still didn't need a tuner on 10m, 15m or 20m!
- Detail of the TH6-DX feed system. For those who've asked us for a pic of it.
- This is what 15 years of corrosion looks like. Amazingly, some Scotchbrite cleaned it right up!
- Empty South Tower, Barton Hall. Gee, something's missing...
- BIG pic of the whole South Tower, Barton Hall
The Barton Hall Walkway -- subtitled "it's way up there"
Return to W2CXM Home Page