[SI-LIST] : PCI BUS: UNEQUAL LOADING

From: Chandan ([email protected])
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 21:23:32 PDT

Hello everybody,

Assuming that devices on a PCI bus are connected in a
daisy chain, all the drivers - except those at the
ends of the PCI bus - "see" a line of characteristic
impedance that is half the value of the loaded
characteristic impedance.

1. What are the adverse effects of this unequal
2. Is there any other way to avoid this situation?

In order to ensure that the PCI devices at the end of
the bus also "see" the same value of characteristic
impedance, I would like to extend the PCI bus on both
ends (i.e., I would like to add an extra inch prior to
the first device and another inch of trace after the
last device).

Kindly comment. Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Chandan