RE: [SI-LIST] : RE: 2.5 GHz in FR4

From: Michael Nudelman ([email protected])
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 06:43:33 PDT

VCC and GND are equally noisy. And are equally good references. Imagine -
all your ref planes are VCCs. And just one is GND. What has changed?
Nothing.

The difference though is: if you use VCC/GND pairs as ref planes for each
hi-speed routing layer, you will have to put bunch of de-coupling capacitors
all over the board to provide for return currents along signals' runs i/o
putting bunch of vias connecting GNDs together.

What is more expensive I do not know. But the inductance of a cap as a
return path (cap itself and two vias) is higher than inductance of one via.

Mike.