[SI-LIST] : A philosophical question

From: [email protected]
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 17:14:30 PDT

The last philosophical question I raised in this forum garnered excellent,
well thought out response which was quite helpful. I'm hoping you'll bear
with me, because I have another question....

"How are your tools supported?" We all rely on our ECAE tool(s) to get our
simulation work done. This translates to Software Apps, OS, HW, and network
support, typically. I'm wondering what model of support works best. My
assumption is that the supported SW is externally developed, and the apps
are loaded on a server. I'm also curious about OS madness (NT desktop
logging into UNIX server/apps vs. other configs).

So, if you're willing to answer the following the questions, I'd be
delighted to hear from you.

In your world:
What/how many apps are being used? How many users? (ie basic complexity,
this is not MS)
What host/client config (local or server installs)?
What OS's? Linux anyone?
Do you have internal resources (AEs) supporting your apps?
What does that support translate to? SW installs? Contacting the supplier
regarding SW issues? Who drives SW enhancements? Bug fixes? Is this
happening with an internal AE or does the user contact the supplier?
For larger orgs, I'm assuming there's an IT group in the background doing
network, and other, support. Where is the line drawn in roles and
responsibilities?
Are you satisfied with the support you are receiving? If not, what would
you change?

The following is a list of scenarios that I can envision, that might make
for a good litmus test.

User finds a bug
User requires an enhancement
User requires new tool capability (enhancement won't cut it or not
available)
User needs new release of production SW (Installation)
User needs to evaluate new tool (non-production Install)
User has SW question (operation of tool)
SW app not running correctly
SW (soft) License management
Contractual license management
Group needs infrastructure change (ie HW/OS upgrades)

Thanks in advance for your response,
Fran Hart
Sr. Manager, PCB Design Engineering
Dell