Re: [SI-LIST] : Mathmatical Software

From: [email protected]
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 09:44:37 PDT

I use Mathematica extensively, both for quick calculations and graphing,
and
for large projects. What continues to impress me most is its
flexibility--it can be
adapted through your own custom definitions or "programming" to handle
pretty
much any problem that can be expressed mathematically. It also really
helps to
have its powerful, flexible graphing capability available while debugging a
project.

In my experience, Mathematica does have a significant learning curve as you
discover which of its overwhelming number of capabilities are most useful
to you.

If you are looking for a pre-canned spreadsheet/equation/charting tool with
a simple
user interface, then Mathematica is probably not the way to go. I have
observed that
it appeals most to people who like mathematics, programming, or advanced
graphics,
and like to develop or modify tools rather than use them as-is.

I don't have much personal experience, but based on reliable sources, it
seems that
both MathCAD and MatLab are very good tools provided your problems match
their capabilities.

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Mark Gailus