RE: [SI-LIST] : Inductance and Decoupling

From: Zabinski, Patrick J. ([email protected])
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 16:00:55 PST

Itzhak,

For the most part, it looks like your analysis is on track.
I've performed similar analysis and ended up with roughly
the same number of caps.

That said, my original analysis targeted only 5% ripple
on VDD. However, depending upon how close you're riding
the timing and signal margins, you can generally push
the ripple a bit further and obtain acceptable performance.

The one factor I did not see included in your analysis is
the effects of ground/power planes. It's a touchy subject
on the SI-List, but most agree that it does offer some
useful capacitance.

Pat