RE: [SI-LIST] : Total Conductive and dielectric Losses for a microstrip trace

From: Jian X. Zheng ([email protected])
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 11:24:46 PST

Hi, Paul:

I use our IE3D full-wave simulator to check your results. It seems to me
your calculated loss is too low.

I assume the conductor is gold with conductivity of 4.9e+7 s/m. For a 75-ohm
line of width 33 mils, the subtrate thickness should be about 33 mils. The
thickness is 0.7 mils. The DK = 3.9.

If I assume there is no dielectric loss, the Alpha = 0.50 dB/m.
If I assume there is no metallic loss, the Alpha = 1.34 dB/m.
If I assume both metallic loss and dielectric loss are there, the Alpha =
1.84 dB/mm.

The calcualted effective DK = 2.86.

I trust the results of our IE3D simulator. Thanks!

Best regards,
Jian-X. Zheng, Ph.D
Zeland Software, Inc., 48890 Milmont Drive, 105D, Fremont, CA 94538, U.S.A.
Tel: 510-623-7162, Fax: 510-623-7135, Web: http://www.zeland.com