Why do we use trailer plugs and not Anderson PowerPoles?
- PowerPoles are difficult to assemble and crimp tongues are often ruined when installing, especially when done in the field.
- PowerPoles are not available at local Canadian Tire Stores and Walmart.
- Trailer plugs are weather resistant.
- PowerPoles require up to 3 different types of tongues (15, 30, 45 Amp types).
- Trailer plugs can be added in the field with only a pocket knife and black tape as tools.
- Trailer plugs can be reused.
- Soldered wire connections are better than crimp.
- Several other ARES and other local organizations use the trailer plug even though they may not (yet) be a standard for them.
Some of our members do have adapters (trailer plug to PowerPole) to allow inter-operation with ARES groups who choose the PowerPole.