Who We Are
Back to N3KEV
Transmitter Hunt Rules
As of 5-2-97
M.A.T.H. is not about making rules, but in having fun. That is why the
rules are divided into two groups, those that are written in stone, and
those that were written to be broken. Those written in stone absolutly,
positively, without-a-doubt, must be adhered to in all hunts! (Don't
even ask) The reason for this is to eliminate any unruly or less than sportman-like
behavior on the part of the "fox".
These rules also put the hunters on a level playing field.
Remembe : we hunt to have fun!
Written in stone
- Once the hunt has begun, the fox may not QSY except in an emergency.
- Once the hunt has begun, the fox may not change location.
- Unless it is for the benefit of the hunters (which means at their request)
the fox will not change transmit power levels either by changing antennas
or setting transmitter power.
- If the fox is using a directional antenna, it must remain stationary
throughout the hunt, i.e. he/she cannot change the direction the antenna
- If the fox is not present at the transmitter, he/she must provide instructions
in the form of a note on the transmitter telling hunters how to find him/her
to claim victory.
- The boundaries of the hunt must be clearly set before the beginning
of the hunt.
- The fox must be able to be heard at the starting point with
a 4 element yagi or lesser antenna. This means it has to be tested prior
to the hunt.
Written to be broken
The following rules can be broken but the change in rules must
be announced just prior to the beginning of the hunt.
- The fox must hide on public property. This includes :
The fox must hide in an area which has easy access to public parking.
The hunters should not have to pay for parking. This does not include tolls
for crossing bridges or using state highways. Tolls are OK but will make
you enemies very quickly.
The fox shall use a "fox-box" or similar beacon as a transmitter
(M.A.T.H. members have access to one that can be shared)
The fox must be able to be heard at the starting point using a 5/8
wave mobile antenna.
All hunters shall start from the designated starting point unless otherwise
stated by the fox.
- Public schools
- Shopping center and mall parking lots. (This does not include behind
the shopping center in the alley!!!)
- Along side public streets in a legitimate parking spot.
These rules are subject to addition and deletion. Check back before
a t-hunt to make sure you are aware of them all.
[Top of page]