RS232 Cable Information
The cable adapters allow you to connect DCE (Data Communication End, for example - modem)
to DTE (Data Terminal End, for example - PC) devices in order to communicate between them.
DB-9 to DB-25 RS232 Serial Port Adapter Cable
NULL MODEM ADAPTERS
Null modem adapters allow you to connect two computers in the same room by means of common (no crossed data lines) RS232 serial port cable to transfer data between them.
1) DB-25 Female to DB-25 Female Serial Port Interface Adapter
2) DB-9 Female to DB-9 Female Serial Port Interface Adapter
NULL MODEM ADAPTER CABLES
This cables allows to transfer data between two computers in the same room. The cables have crossed data lines!
Only connect the computers when they are turned off! An additional connection the both PC-grounds by separate wire is good insurance. There is always a danger of the destruction of the port by static electricity. Therefore please touch the PC case before conecting the cable.
1) DB-9 or DB-25 (Females) Serial Port Adapter Cables
|| ||Computer 2||(Slave)|
2) Parallel Port Interface Cable
|DB-25 Male||10m max.||DB-25 Male|
SOFTWARE AID: A suitable software for serial or parallel port transfer of data:
1. NORTON COMMANDER v5.0. Select 'Link' from the 'Left' or 'Right' menu to display the NCommander Link dialog box. Select 'Master' or 'Slave' and which port to use, either serial or parallel. The master computer controls the functions of the slave computer. You can copy and move files either to or from the slave. Over the serial cable you can use the Clone option to partially install the Norton Commander on the slave mashine.
2. WINDOWS COMMANDER v5.0 (or later). Only for a connection through the parallel ports!
Select 'Net' | PORT connection to other PC. One mashine will act as a server, and one as a client.
You will be working on the client mashine.
REMARK: By the WinCmd, if you want to transfer data from a Windows mashine to a mashine without an installed Windows (only plain DOS), e.g. to copy a system, you must use the standalone server for DOS. (You can find it on the homepage www.ghisler.com on the 'AddOns' page - LPTDOS.ZIP, about 10KB). LPTDOS is parallel port server
only. The other PC needs to run WINDOWS COMMANDER as a client.
3. WINDOWS 95 (or later). Only for transfer of data from a Windows mashine (Host) to another Windows mashine (Guest) by means of either serial or parallel cable connection. Select 'Start' | Programs | Accessories | Direct Cable Connection and follow the instructions.
hi_d()c / Oct.2001
Back to my projects page