The Patrick Henry Amateur Radio Association is a NON PROFIT
club made up of local "Ham Radio Operators" from Henry and Patrick Counties and the surrounding areas.
The Patrick Henry Amateur Radio Association was organized and chartered in 1977 by the efforts of six local amateur radio operators: Bill Gleaves-WB4HAD, Dale Watson-WB4RAF, John Blanton-WA4TLR,Robert Mitchell-WA4UGP, Edgar Cliborne-WB4NIY, and Al Merrill-WB4JLW.
The basis of the newly formed amateur radio club was project orientation, repeater sponsorship, and regular meetings.
The first club repeater was operational on the frequency of 147.390 Mhz in 1978, later moving to
147.285 Mhz due to interference.
The first repeater trustee was Bill Gleaves-WB4HAD. Successive trustees were: Dan Hopkins-AB4L, Peter Stolbunov-KM4ZS, Jim Phillips-AA4QT(now WS4W), Mike Smith-KD4QWD, and currently Buck Kester-KC4KFT.
The original VHF Engineering repeater was retired in December 1990, after a successful fundraising project led by Wallace Jones-KN4HA and Pete Stolbunov-KM4ZS. The new repeater system consisted of an ICOM RP-1510, ACC RC-96 repeater controller, WACOM duplexer and a Diamond X3200A Triband Base Antenna.
The current repeater location is near Martinsville on Chestnut Knob 1540' above sea level thanks to an agreement with the Henry County Public Safety Dept. Previous locations have been the WMVA-AM
broadcast tower and "Indian Hill" in Collinsville, VA.
Current PHARA activities consist of social events, emergency communications, ARRL Field Day participation, license classes, SKYWARN training seminars, and on-the-air fellowship. our
members have interests in various aspects of amateur radio such as packet(and other digital
modes), cw, hf dxing, microwave, QRP, homebrewing, and ragchewing.
The club repeater now operates under the FCC-issued club call sign KF4KVG.