Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
From: gary@ke4zv.atl.ga.us (Gary Coffman)
Subject: Re: Can I have an Internet link in a ham band?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:21:19 GMT

In article <3jkso6$6aj@acorn.acorn.co.uk> agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) writes:

	...	[for WWW]

>Is type-approval required for equipment under the Part 15 regulations,
>or is it a complete free-for-all ? I'd have thought that type-approval
>costs would make homebuilt equipment uneconomic.

You are allowed to build your own Part 15 devices, quantity one, without
need to go through the Type Acceptance process. You can't start manufacturing
them or offering them for sale without Type Acceptance. So you can experiment,
though you are still responsible for staying within the Part 15 rules. You
just can't go into business with Part 15 devices unless they are certified.

Gary
--
Gary Coffman KE4ZV          |    You make it,     | gatech!wa4mei!ke4zv!gary
Destructive Testing Systems |    we break it.     | emory!kd4nc!ke4zv!gary