John AD5YP, Mike KC5OKP and Rick operated rover for the Louisiana QSO Party. From 12:00 noon to 4:30 PM
we operated from Fort Jackson in Plaquemines Parish.
Fort Jackson was built to provide protection against hostile
forces. Construction of Fort Jackson, named after
Andrew Jackson, began in 1822 and was completed and occupied in 1832. The total cost of construction was $554,500.
It was then garrisoned by a small force until February 9, 1842, when it was declared a military
reservation by executive order of President John Tyler. With the coming of the Mexican War, it was imperative
that the Forts, St. Phillip and Jackson, be prepared for any emergency. On June 1, 1846, Governor Isaac Johnson
of Louisiana ceded the lands to the National Government. Fortunately, these defenses were not needed during the
Unfortunatly Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Gustov have done what hostile forces could not do.
It is unlikely that the Fort will be able to recover as the damage has been so intense to the
for a history of Fort Jackson go to