Kenwood TH79A (KC0IPG) Rating: 10/10
Oct 1, 2000 17:40 Very Impressive Time owned: 3 to 6 months I saw some of the other reviews and decided we needed to set the record straight. This is quite a nice performing radio. It has every feature imaginable (PL, dtss, page, tone alert, dual VFOs, crossband repeat, backlight, dotmatrix display, alphanumeric display, etc, etc). It's a great little HT, and I've been hard-pressed to find another rig as good as it is. I would recommend these things to a perspective buyer, though:
1. Get a BT-9 battery case
2. Get those new NI-MH batteries (so you don't have to cycle charge like the NI-CDs)
3. Get a small NI-mh (like a PB-30 or 32) for when you want to cary it around, etc
4. Get a large NI-mh (like a PB-34) so you can use the full 5 watts and have it last longer when needed
5. Get a base charger so you don't have to wait forever to charge the batts.
Kenwood TH79A by KE6NFZ Rating: 4/10
Mar 31, 2000 01:14 Okay radio but I sold it... too many hassles Time owned: unknown months Radio functioned well, even though I had a hard time reading the dot matrix display. My main problems were as follows:
1. The radio would not stay standing up, it would fall over.
2. You had to charge the battery while it was on the radio.
3. It had a charge jack but not an external dc input.
4. When the flimsy plastic protector that covered the charge jack tore off it took Kenwood's parts supplier 6 months to get me a replacement. The screw that held this on was very cheap and stripped too easily.
5. The accessories were overpriced.
Now I have an ADI AT-600 and have none of these problems.
Does anyone out there power their Th-D7 with a gell cell battery?
I am looking to get a new HT, and being to run effectivly from a gell cell is an important feature to me. I currently have a Yaesu VX5
which isvery picky about being powered from a gell cell and powers itself off sometimes during xmit.
Any infowould be apperciated.
I use a 7 ah gell cell with my TH-D7A(G) and Garmin III + with no problems.
From: Phil Greenland
Our discussions submitted from our fellow ham radio operators are displayed right here on this page. Please note that all discussions submitted will show up within 6-12 hours on this product review page.