Submitted by Terry
I also added a "5-way" binding post to one of the screw holes (originally intended to hold the add-on VHF converter). I used a 1/2" braid to bond the R2000 to my ground system.
While hunting down sources of noise in my home, I found that one surprising source was leakage through the 50/500/Gnd/Gnd antenna connections. I cleaned that one up by moving the RF input connector from the terminal strip with the 50/500/Gnd/Gnd and transformer over to the RF input on the main RF board. The connectors are the same. I connected the daughter board output cable to its own input to keep the cable out of the way. This reduced the QRM from my PC to a low enough level so as not to be an issue.
I have included a couple of photographs below to show these changes.
The first photo below shows the BNC connector with the external washer I used to fill in the larger SO259 mounting hole. I saved the original SO258 in the event I ever need to revert back to stock. The "5-Way" ground binding post can also just be seen in the upper right-hand corner:
You can also see above that
the internal attenuator switch has been removed. About 8 years
the switch went flaky on me, so I removed it. I added an external
10dB and 20dB attenuator that works fine.
I tried cleaning it at first, but the switch became so touchy that it made the radio unusable.
Suggestions, comments, corrections or additions may be emailed here.
TO THE MODS PAGE
RETURN TO THE DIRECTORY