The Worked EI Counties Award (WEIC)

1. The WEIC Award, issued by the Irish Radio Transmitters Society, is available to licensed Amateurs worldwide who have worked stations located in different counties of Ireland (EI/EJ). A list of the EI counties is given below. It is available also to SWL's on a "heard" basis.

2. In accordance with IARU Region 1 rules, a claim for the WEIC Award must be accompanied by a QSO list and by a statement from the applicant's DX-Awards Manager that correctly filled in QSL cards are in the possession of the applicant. If this is not possible, the applicant must submit all QSLs concerned. Applicants in Ireland must submit QSL cards with their claim.

3. Contacts made only on or after January 1st 1982 are valid.

4. There will be a charge of 5 Euro, 5 Sterling, $10 or 10 IRCs for the award.

5. Band endorsements will be available at the time of first application.

6. A seperate "ALL 26" sticker will be available for confirmations with all 26 counties.

7. For applicants in EI only :
All contacts must be made from the home station. Contacts made via repeaters or while operating mobile, portable or from an alternative address are not reckonable.

8. Requirements :
Work/hear 20 of the 26 counties of Ireland (EI).

Counties
Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Donegal,
Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny,
Laois, Leitrim, Limerick, Longford, Louth,
Mayo, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon,
Sligo, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford,
Wicklow

See the Map of EI Counties

Send your application to :
The WEIC Awards Manager,
Irish Radio Tranmitters Society,
P.O. Box 462, Dublin 9.


To see what the WEIC award looks like, click HERE



The WEIC award is not an easy award and it is a real challenge to get the 20 counties confirmed. The 5 largest counties in terms of Radio Amateur population are :
Dublin - 31%
Cork - 15%
Donegal - 6%
Galway - 5%
Limerick - 4%

The 5 counties above account for 61% of the total Radio Amateur population. If you had the above 5 counties confirmed, you would need to work and confirm another 15 counties from the remaining 39% of the EI population. Not easy but it can be done. To date, about 75 awards have been issued.

See the Worked EI Counties Award Holders

Tips :
1. A good place to catch those rare counties is on the Worked All Ireland nets. Check either 3.680 MHz or 7.068 MHz during a Sunday morning/afternoon.
2. Check the bands during the EI activity weekend. A lot of EI stations are on the bands during the weekend closest to the 17th of March which is St.Patrick's Day, the Irish national holiday.
3. Check the contest bands during the IOTA contest. There are usually several EI counties active during this contest.
4. Check the Irish Hour net on 21.317 MHz every Sunday at 17:00 UTC.
5. If you are an EI/GI station, check out the IRTS 2m Counties Contest during the Spring and Autumn. There are always lots of EI counties active during these contests.
6. On the main index page, there is a link to an online EI Callbook. Use this to check what EI counties you may have worked and confirmed.
7. If you want to see a full breakdown of the number of licences per county, check the Amateur Radio in Ireland page.

Back to the index page

The URL of this page is http://www.qsl.net/ei7gl/weic.htm Last Modified : 30th Mar 2002