We are going QRP with this aerial anyhow. I found this one in a old
BC-RX (my favourite source for these things). It helps if the capacitor
has two identical sections. Feeding just the stators will on one hand
rotator and therefor the chassis w/o RF on the other it double the
rating. The solder joints should be as solid as possible (remember the
resistance story). I used a 80W iron to solder the loop wire directly
to the stators.
Showing pictures, it might be reasonable to show the whole thing. What
I found helped, so there ist a shelf's backside steelcross used
give support for the bamboo rods. This will disappear soon... making
for some more cable ties. Please excuse the poor light quality on this
was made on a business trip in the middle of the night.
The tuning range is huge. I observe resonance between 5
MHz. Even though it tunes on the 40m band, I
believe transmitting there might not make that much sense - radiation
efficiency would not be that
great. I used the lower range to listen to broadcast.
First QSO on 20m during this business trip (Germany) resulted in a
report of 579 from Hungary using 2W PSK31 (w/ FT817). At this time the
antenna was hanging on a wardrobe (indoors, as you expect). The room
was located at the ground floor of a steelwork office building.
Some news on my rockloop
I went out for some shopping, and that's the result (well, not the Al-boom
on the floor):
These things can be turned into something useful for the rockloop. Up to
now I had it hanging off stuff like curtain rails etc. This, however,
is not a real solution, in particular since sometimes, it is really difficult
to find a mounting point not too close to walls.
Thus, here's a very very cheap and easy solution. The sunshade stand cost me
less than 4 Euros, the spider web broom was about 4 Euros.
Let's see what the mod is like.
The broom itself can be easily separated from it's telescopic stick. Simply
pull (carfully) on the steel bits. Twisting the stick slightely helps a lot.
The result would be something like this:
The top plastic bit actually does all the trick for us. However, there was
some material connecting both legs on the inside part, that needs to be cut off.
This modified bit perfectly fits my loop wire. Like this:
Next step, insert the broomstick into the sunshade stand. I skipped shooting
a photograph of that respective step...
In the sequence of events, the plastic bit will mysteriously find it's way back
home into the business end of the broomstick. As such:
And the final result, as set up in my garage: