The BCRA/FRARC is two ham radio clubs combined into one: the Bristol County Repeater Association, and the Fall River Amateur Radio Club. The BCRA was originally from Somerset, MA and eventually combined with the FRARC to create one club.
From all accounts, the club, once known as the Fall River Amateur Radio Club, has been in existence since 1929. In a letter dated back to 1960, the ARRL had a record of the club being an ARRL-affiliate club from late 1929, with a brief affiliation interruption in 1937.
In 1960, the club was credited with having the club call W1ACT, $4.00 dues, and indicated working frequency of 3885 KHz, an Emergency Coordinator (W1YHY), and as many as 10 AREC members. The club members possessed a number of "mobiles, dynamotors, vibropacks, and a gas-driven unit..."
Also recently uncovered was a 1953 note from the FCC responding to a query from the club concerning the history of the W1ACT call sign. According to the FCC, the earliest record found of W1ACT being issued to the Fall River Amateur Radio Club is in the Department of Commerce publication of Amateur Radio Stations in the U.S. edition of June 30, 1930, which also indicates that J. Wilbur Wilson was the secretary and the location was 1998 North Main St.
Please join us for our monthly Business Meetings followed by a social chat.
Union United Methodist Church
Talk-in will be on the club repeater, 145.150 pl 123.0